Saturday, February 20, 2010

in a continued meditative state

In light of this phase of my life, and somewhat of an extension of the last post, I am going to share this poem. I find that the more decisions I have to make, and the more that I have to think about, in regards to this life and the future, I am continually, ever so gently yet persistently, inclined to not think about me. Rather to reflect yet again on Who it is that I have chosen to place my life, heart and trust in. Why the repetition? Because I am weak. And I so easily begin to think of myself. I begin to wonder about my needs and want to make sure my desires are met. And yet I feel, no I KNOW, that this should not be so. God does not call us to partial obedience and faith. But utter and complete devotion, and sacrifice.
So here is my latest poem, titled "You Are..." a reflection of more of my thoughts and meditations on the character of God.

You are bigger than I can imagine, yet more personal than I sometimes think
You are timeless and unchanging,
You are steady and sure in a world that moves too fast
You are the comforter and provider, though I often get distracted and lose my focus on you
You are right there, beside, behind and before me
You are aware of my inmost secrets
You are the one who planted your truth in my heart and let it take root
You are the one who has prepared the soil
You are not caught off guard by the things that come your way
You are not swayed
You are Love. Not a love that is cheap and fleeting, but steady and deep, unchanging
You are Love that was bought at a price
You see brokenness but not deterred
You desire restoration
You do not see us as finished products, but unfinished, ready to change and be made complete
You see the lost and your heart breaks for and with them
You are the master visionary, who gently invites me, limited and small as I am, to join you
You break down the lies that I tell myself
You use me, a jar of clay, breakable and finite, to reveal Your awesome glory
You desire to see us step forth and boldly share Your good news and help to others
You long to use us as tools of gentle healing for your children in need
You give us cause for joy
You instill us with Your passions and love to see them come to fruition
You are not the box I try to fit you in, a shape I do not know
You are at work in the market places, unencumbered by the guild and pressure of tradition
You are speaking, though I often cannot hear over the roar of my own selfishness
You are not hindered by my faithlessness, because--
You are faithful
You are strong and gentle
You are loving and just
You are limitless and unbound
You are a paradox, in a world of cheap tricks and easy lies
You are the one beckoning and calling, wooing me gently and persistently
You are at work in my heart, cleansing it and making me strong and whole
You are the Shepherd that guides, protects and directs me
You are full of joy and peace
You are singing over me as I walk on feeble legs, in Your sure and steady footprints.

No comments:

Post a Comment